Welcome to the home page for the 2020 Derryberry Season Opener tournament hosted by Southwest Baptist University on Oct 2-3, 2020 for College students.
Status: Accepting Entries
Dear Forensics Colleagues,
The Southwest Baptist University forensics program and the Heartland Sigma chapter of Pi Kappa Delta want to invite you to the Bob R. Derryberry Memorial Season Opener to be held virtually October 2-3, 2020. The tournament is designed to be a synchronous online forensics experience using the 8x8 videoconferencing platform. Pages 3-5 of the invitation have extensive information about using this platform through the forensicstournament.net website.
Our tournament offers four preliminary rounds and three elimination rounds of both College Public Forum and Lincoln Douglas debate on Friday; and all 11 standard AFA individual events (plus interviewing) on Saturday. One special note about interviewing. All competitors in that event will be expected to submit their resumes to the tournament director via email no later than September 30th at 5:00p.m. (Central). Those who do not will be ineligible for the final round (which will be the resume round). Judges and competitors must be entered on the tournament website no later than 7:00p.m.(Central) on Monday, September 28, 2020.
The 2020 Derryberry offers several nice amenities including…
- A humane competition schedule on both Friday (debate only) and Saturday (IEs only).
- No participation fees this year and we lowered some of our base fees. (This is a hard time for the community and we want to ease everyone’s burden as much as possible.)
- Paper awards for most, but trophies for quadrathon, debate speaker awards, Bright Young Scholar, and sweepstakes awards.
- A chance to start the season with the warm camaraderie fostered by the activity we love!
- New speaker awards in both PF and LD.
- A JV division in LD for the first time.
We hope that you will join us online in October! Please contact us with any questions you may have.
Dr. David Bailey Mr. Jordan Compton
Director of Forensics Assistant Director of Forensics