Welcome to the home page for the 2021 Sunset Cliffs Classic tournament hosted by Pt Loma on Oct 22-24, 2021 for College students.
Status: Tournament Completed
NPDA Debate Topics:
Round 1: The United States should adopt a policy or policies to substantially reform our approach towards law enforcement.
Round 2: The United States federal government should adopt a policy or policies to substantially stave off inflation.
Round 3: On balance, the benefits of Cancel Culture outweigh its detriments.
Round 4: On balance, the benefits of mandating vaccines in American schools outweigh their detriments.
Quarters: This house should avoid investing significantly in cryptocurrency.
Semis: Within the next ten years, China will replace the United States as the primiary global superpower.
TOURNAMENT INVITATION IS BELOW
The Point Loma Nazarene University forensics squad is pleased to invite you to our annual SUNSET CLIFFS CLASSIC Invitational forensics tournament. The tournament will be Friday through Sunday, October 22-4, 2021. We hope you can come enjoy our beautiful seaside campus and the typically sunny weather.
We are excited to be offering face to face competition in accordance with State, County and Campus rules, attempting to follow CDC guidelines, meaning that as of the writing of this invitation we anticipate that we will still be mandated to wear masks, and you and your students are encouraged to be fully vaccinated, or at the very least recently tested as Covid negative and symptom free.
We will offer open and novice division competition in all eleven AFA individual events (collapsing some events and or divisions should numbers so dictate); four preliminary rounds of Novice, Junior and Senior divisions of both IPDA and NPDA Parliamentary Debate with appropriate elimination rounds; four preliminary rounds of junior and senior divisions of NFA LD debate if numbers allow; plus one division of British Parliamentary Debate, with a possible break out Novice elimination round should those numbers allow. A lot of unknowns given the questions surrounding people’s travel constraints. So we thank you for your patience should this be a little ambitious in preserving so many divisions, if numbers do not justify those moves.
- British Parliamentary Debate Note: This year we will again offer a combined division of British Parliamentary Debate as it has gone so well the last few years. Due to the longer scheduled number of and time of rounds though, students and judges in BP debate cannot be involved in other forms of debate or individual events at the Sunset Cliffs. As mentioned above we may try to carve out a novice Final Round should the number of novices justify that.
· Electronic Debate Balloting this year: IPDA, NPDA, and NFA LD will again be using electronic ballots. So judges for these debate formats are required to have an electronic phone or tablet or lap top capable of receiving emails to qualify as judges, and please bring a charger. Judges should not be on line during the actual debate rounds though, for any reason, including but not limited to social media, fact checking, etc. . . You may flow on your electronic device if you are a judge. This added note: Additional instructions about email balloting will be provided once registration has closed. However, please ensure that you supply an email address in the judge notes for each judge you enter AND please be sure it is an email that can be accessed throughout the tournament.
· Topic Areas and Recommendations: You are encouraged to provide a list of debatable, fairly worded resolutions for tab staff to consider for all formats of debate, except NFA LD which is of course locked in to one topic for the year.
- Some noteworthy attractions of the Sunset Cliffs Classic include:
· Strong competition with diverse regional and national representation and quality judging.
· A picturesque ocean front campus.
· Two $3,000.00 scholarships for the top community college competitors (one each for debate & IE’s) for tuition remission at PLNU the following year.
· Attractive trophies.
· Enjoyable food nearby, and especially in the judge’s area for judges and coaches.
· Did I mention the ocean proximity and view? It bears repeating.
· No guarantee on chamber of commerce, post card weather, but it will likely be better than where y’all come in from. J
· And we are happy to offer IPDA Debate this year.
We look forward to you joining us this year. Please let me know of any questions or concerns.
Dr. Skip Rutledge, Director of Forensics Nathaniel Hosmer, ADOF
Cell (619) 655-0112
Office (619) 849-2391
Tue 10/19/21 5:00 pm Pacific
Drops only (no new entries or changes allowed)
Thu 10/21/21 12:00 pm Pacific
Close registration (schools can not edit their registration)